Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

hiv positive couple

Dear doctor,

I would like to know if an hiv infected couple that is not under treatment yet should use a condom when they make love to avoid a deterioration of their health.

Thank you

I usually answer this question as yes-- because one can become super-infected with a second virus. This point is less relevant if one partner definately infected the other and both partners have never been on medications.

The situation is very different if one partner has been on HIV medications, here there is the risk of the emergence of drug resistance and subsequent superinfection of the partner with this drug resistant variant.

Of course, condoms will protect you from other infections, besides HIV, like hepatitis viruses, herpes, syphillis or gonorhea. In general, again, I recommend their use vigourously.

Lastly, be aware that there are many different types, shapes, colors and flavors of condoms. If one brand or type does suit your needs or fit well, try others. There is an awful lot of information and companies out there-- experiment if it strikes your fancy.

Good luck, BY

Re: An interesting poser for the doctor - THERAPEUTIC VACCINES
viral fitness