Combivir and Sustiva

First I would like to thank you all for your help here. This is a great site and has helped a lot of people.

I'm HIV+ for the past 9years and I'm presently taking Combivir one pill 2 times a day and Sustiva 200mg three capsules at bedtime. Have done excellent, having an undetectable viral load and a CD4 count of ~650 (34) since starting meds for the past 6 years. I have heard that combivir can be taken 2 pills once a day and the Sustiva now comes in a 600mg tablet. I just want to know if I can simplify my meds by taking Combivir 2pills + Sustiva 600mg once a day at bedtime? As I have done very well with my present regime can I expect the same if I took all the pills at night? Are there any studies and would you recommend doing the above?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Combivir contains Retrovir (AZT) and Epivir (3TC). 3TC was recently approved for once daily dosing, but AZT has to be taken twice daily. So, Combivir cannot be taken once daily, it is a twice daily medication. If you want to switch to once dialy therapy, there are a number of other options, including Videx (ddI) and Viread (tenofovir). You should discuss with your doctor whether either of these options would be appropriate for you.

What should I try next
Is My Physicians treatment too aggressive?