Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4-10 vl/30000
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Young please answer this--- I just got my labs back, and was shocked I have cd4 of 10 and a 30,000 viral load. I still work full time and go to school and take care of my daughter. I am pregnant and have decided not to have the baby( God forgive me ) yesterday I started combivir and nevarapine, also took it today with no side effects so far. I have none of the hepatitis' really good liver functions, no std's and of course medications to prevent infection. How besides the grace of God, have I not been sicker, and can I have many years even with these counts?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

You've landed in one of those good news- bad news situations. Firstly, it is indeed good that you've not had any complications related to HIV/AIDS. The bad news is that in the absence of symptoms, it took until a low CD4 count to be detected. This situation is not unheard of, and many persons in our clinic present with low CD4 cells. I don't think that we have a very adequate explanation for your's or other's late presentation, but either way, the risk of having new complications remain, so long as the CD4 cell count remains low.

My best advice is to work as hard as possible to adhere to your medical regimen; continue to stay in very close contact with your healthcare provider-- make sure that you get medical and lab follow up. Lastly, since you've not mentioned it, I'd want to be sure that your taking PCP and MAC prophylaxis (Bactrim and azithromycin, for example).

Good luck, stay in touch. -BY

Previous
advice please
Next
cd4 is 40

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.