cd4-10 vl/30000

Dr. Young please answer this--- I just got my labs back, and was shocked I have cd4 of 10 and a 30,000 viral load. I still work full time and go to school and take care of my daughter. I am pregnant and have decided not to have the baby( God forgive me ) yesterday I started combivir and nevarapine, also took it today with no side effects so far. I have none of the hepatitis' really good liver functions, no std's and of course medications to prevent infection. How besides the grace of God, have I not been sicker, and can I have many years even with these counts?

Thanks for your question.

You've landed in one of those good news- bad news situations. Firstly, it is indeed good that you've not had any complications related to HIV/AIDS. The bad news is that in the absence of symptoms, it took until a low CD4 count to be detected. This situation is not unheard of, and many persons in our clinic present with low CD4 cells. I don't think that we have a very adequate explanation for your's or other's late presentation, but either way, the risk of having new complications remain, so long as the CD4 cell count remains low.

My best advice is to work as hard as possible to adhere to your medical regimen; continue to stay in very close contact with your healthcare provider-- make sure that you get medical and lab follow up. Lastly, since you've not mentioned it, I'd want to be sure that your taking PCP and MAC prophylaxis (Bactrim and azithromycin, for example).

Good luck, stay in touch. -BY

advice please
cd4 is 40