DIDANOSINE - 3rd time enquiring!

This is my 3rd time asking this forum. Please do let me know if ddI (didanosine) chewable tablets could be taken once daily basis ? My weight is below 60 kg. so could I take 3 tabs at a time?

Response from Dr. Aberg

I just answered your first request but I am responding again because you have more information this time regarding your weight. Videx (DDI) needs to dosed according to weight and kidney function. Assuming your kidney function is normal, the dose of DDI tablet is 125 mg twice a day or 250 mg daily. Bristol-Myers-Squibb (BMS) the manufacturer of DDI recommends that the preferred dosing of the tablets be twice daily because there are more studies supporting the effectivenss of this dosing. Because of the buffer in each tablet, it is recommended that you take at least two of the appropriate strength tablet and not more than 4. I don't know what strength tablet you are taking 3 of. If it is all 100 mg, you may be taking too much DDI putting yourself at risk of developing side effects from DDI. Personally, I think the easiest way to take DDI is with the new capsule which is a once daily formulation. For you, it would be one 250 mg capsule taken once a day. I suggest you sit down with your pharmacist and s/he can go over the DDI dosing charts with you and discuss the best way for you to take your DDI.

Candida
Help