Adding 1 regimen

Dear doctor, I've been on AZT & 3TC for the last 1&1/2 years. Now I would like to add 1 NNRTI regimen (NVP). Could it be effective and what about the resistance? Please answer me back for I'm realy desperate to start on with triple regimen.

Response from Dr. Boyle

You don't mention your current viral load, but regardless, I do not advise adding a non-nucleoside such as nevirpine, or any other drug, to a 2 drug regimen. It is not likely to be effective and resistance is likely to develop very rapidly under these circumstances and then you could be in even deeper trouble. You should have a genotype performed (if your viral load is high enough), which is very likely to show lamivudine (3TC) resistance. If you cannot get a genotype, you should presume lamivudine and aome zidovudine (AZT) resistance are already present. You and your doctor should attempt to design a new regimen that will still be effective, despite the potential resistance, and this should not be very hard to do (presuming you have not been on a bunch of other antiretrovirals). Good luck.

Replacing proteaseinhibitors with tenofovir
Should I switch?