Help!

Last October I moved from the west coast to Virginia....my primary care physician refuses to treat me for my hiv and has referred me to another MD...who quickly "turned me in" to the State of Virginia Health Department because of my HIV....after investigating I found out that I am only to be turned in if i have aids...which i do not...I only have HIV. I discussed this matter with my primary care MD who frankly was less than interested....are there any gay friendly MD's in the Norfolk Virginia area that you could refer me too?

I have become so frustrated with there lack of interest/care that I have stopped taking all meds.

Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Cohen

I don't know the MDs specifically in your area as Virginia is a big place... However, one good place to look is a website that is put together by the American Academy Of HIV Medicine. If you click here you can connect to it - and there is a map of the US and this can bring you to a list by geographic area of clinicians who have listed themselves as HIV "specialists" as defined by this group. Odds are good that there may be someone close by and if they're on this list, they are interested in providing care to people with HIV. If there is not someone that is near to you, you might call someone who is closest and try to learn if they know of others nearer to where you are who at least can get you started in care.

Hopefully with some detective work you can find someone who you can successfully work with. As for the medication interruption, this only increases the need for monitoring to see what happened as a result, and may not be the most successful way to approach this frustration of not finding care...

Just infected
Long term Sustiva problems