The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jun 27, 2002

Tested poz 24.1.01. VL-560 CD4-483. Re-tested again June 01 VL600 and CD4-500. August 2001 started vitamins on my own C (high dose-2000x3 a day), E, Zinc, Garlic, B2 (9 tabs a day), A, Folic Acid, Selenium. Still taking them. I went for repeat testing 10 April 2002 and the VL-300 and CD4-709. I feel excellent and look great. Do you think if I continue, the VL will be undetectable?

Response from Dr. Pavia

Congratulations on doing so well. Your body is controlling the viremia very well and your CD4 count is great. I don't know if the vitamins have anything to do with it, or if it is general good attitude, good self care, luck and good genes.

Your viral load has actually been the same on all of your tests. Given the accuracy of the test, a change has to be more than 3-fold to be meaningful. Thus, you levels of 560, 600 and 300 are identical, within the limits of the test. These are phenomenal numbers - and you should do very well, but you should understand it is rock steady, not really dropping.

I usually just look to make sure you are not taking any big risks with the complementary therapy. Vitamin A and selenium have very narrow safety ranges - supplements are fine but megadoses can be very dangerous. Check the doses with a knowledgable nutritionist (not just a website or the person at the health food store. Vitamin E can also accumulate in the body, but certainly you can take more than the RDA. 800 IU is certainly a safe level. The other compounds are pretty safe, so I would go for it. Keep up the good work.


enlarged nodes in 4 yr old

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint