hepitis c

I have been told I have hepitis c.I dont feel bad,I feel good,I am not yellow,nor is my urine.I would like to know what is hepitis c? and how you get it?.and can you recover from it?what treatment will I be doing?thanks alot.Bob J.

Response from Dr. Pavia

Dear Bob,

Hepatitis C is a form of viral hepatitis that affects several million Americans and is particularly common among persons living with HIV. This is not the place to go into a long discussion. It is a chronic disease, and deciding whether someone needs treatment and when is a complicated process.

There is a forum on HIV and opportunistic infections here on The Body where many similar questions have been posted. There is alos an excellent website that has a lot of information for patients and providers on HIV and hepatitis C at www.natap.org www.natap.org

Preemptive Treatment After High Risk Anal Sex
confused!.