hives

I'm being treated for hives, caused by a reaction to an antibiotic. I am taking clarinex and zyrtec. I hate the way I feel on antihistamines, anxious, nausious, and unable to think clearly. my dr. said to stay away from the ER. they would only give me steroids and they are unhealthy. If the steroids are going to help, and that is what they standardly give for hives, why wouldent I? still considering going this is day 4 of these things that move from place to place. considering going for the injection. what can happen?

Short term administration of steroids is usually not associated with significant side effects or toxicity. We certainly use a lot of low-dose steroids to treat allergic reaction, like the one that you've experienced.

There might be some concern about immunosuppression, if you have a serious active, and untreated infection; most of this effect is short lived and reversible. Side effects are usually mild (insomnia, increased appetite).

I'd recommend discussing the case and treatment options with your healthcare provider. -BY

Starting meds, wondering about this combination
Going back on meds