prognosis

dear doc.i have been on sustiva and combivir sence jan 14th 2002 my vl was 704.000 and cd4s at 240 when started after 6 weeks my vl was 950 and cd4's 540 on may 1st was retested and cd4's now at 620 dont know vl what would you say my prognosis is for the future?

Thanks for the question.

Based on what you've described you've had a very good initial response to therapy- over a 99% reduction in viral load (2 log10) in 6 weeks. This typically predicts eventual undetectability in the near future. Additionally, you've had a very nice increase in CD4 cell counts.

I'd say that you're very likely to have an excellent long-term response to therapy, provided that you are able to maintain adherence and do not have any untoward side effects.

Keep up the good work (adherence-wise), good luck. BY

glucose intolerance
Alternate therapy for HIV/AIDS