The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can we make him get help?
Jun 10, 2002

My 37yr old brother has been positive for over 10 years and refused HIV treatment. He has a T-Cell count of under 60. He is 5'7 128lbs (was 145lbs). His face is gaunt and he sleeps most of the time.

He was diagnosed with a fungus in the lungs and throat last week. All this and he refuses to take ANY meds. Not even to treat his sore throat and lungs. Can this lung fungus kill him?

He's been a life long cocaine addict and the moment he feels better resumes to abuse cocaine.

Can we forcebly hospitalize him? If not, realistaclly how long can he survive this way?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for the question. Sounds like a tough situation.

Fungal lung infections can be very serious, sometimes fatal (depending on the species of fungus). Certainly with a CD4 count of 60, without HIV and anti-fungal therapy, your brother's prognosis is, frankly, grim.

The decision to force someone into treatment against their will is difficult-- requires a statement of incompetency-- usually by a psychiatrist. His active substance abuse may be an avenue to making this determination, but also would appear to be a way to bring him into psychiatric care.

If one is unable to initiate effective therapies, an alternative approach (and equally caring) is to suggest hospice care (either inpatient or home). In this setting, at least his emotional and analgesic care can be optimized.

Good luck. BY

When is 2 better than none
Effectiveness of HAART?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint