thank you ! thank you!!! (Mitochondrial toxicity)

Thank you for your responses about mitochondrial toxcity and nukes.You have been so informative.I think alot of doctors don't take the time to explain in depth to their patients,because they think details may go over their heads,but I'm sure there are alot of individuals like me that can't accept "this is what may happen" we want to know the why's and hows or at least as much imformation is available. I realize alot is not well understood, but if something is explained even just in theory, I want to know....So, this leaves me with the final questions of is there a way to test mitochondria functioning other then looking at serum lactates(which are always normal) and then can I confer that tenofovir for what has been studied has a high theraputic range and therefore little mitochondrial toxcity and if you know of any studies specifically to point me towards I would be greatful.You are the best!!!!!

Thanks for your warm comments.

As you point out, the only accurate test for mitochondrial injury currently is a lactic acid level. The test is promblematic (difficult to do reliably) and probably only picks up late injury.

There are several groups working on commercial tests to examine the quantity of mitochonrdrial DNA-- currently a research method that might be able to pick up mitochondrial injury before the onset of symptoms (see this year's New England Journal of Medicine- Montaner's group in British Colombia).

Good luck, BY

re- acyclic nucleotides
Vitamins?