Does AZT cause death to hiv positive

Hi dr im very shocked and confused about the use of AZT as a treatment for hiv positive patient my question is it possible for this drug to cause death of an individual after along use of the drug.

I am not exactly sure what your question pertains to.

Let me comment-- zidovudine (AZT, Retrovir) was the first drug approved by the US FDA for the treatment of persons with HIV infection. In the early days of treatment (before we had treatment combinations capable of viral suppression), the drug was given as mono- or dual-drug therapy. These regimens failed to fully suppress the virus, hence the HIV virus eventually became resistant to the drug (and unfortunately, as we now know, cross resistant to some drugs). Consequently, persons with resistant virus failed to have meaningful immunological recovery and would progress to AIDS and death.

Zidovudine continues to be a mainstay of treatment for HIV infection (often as a component of the combination drugs, Combivir or Trizivir). Indeed, it is one of the most commonly used drugs world wide today. It's use in appropriately administered and monitored therapy is associated with dramatic improvements in immune function and the duration and quality of lives of many individuals. BY

Newly Infected and Wondering
TRIZIVIR starting treatment soon