Pathology tests after starting HAART

Hi Dr Young,

I started on HAART in January this year and would like to know how frequently you recommend pathologist testing and what tests should be done at which intervals ?

Could you include background to the reasoning for test frequency and methods of reducing or managing the costs of ongoing tests.

Thanks for your time. Franc.

In our Denver, Colorado office, I usually obtain a viral load on persons about one month after starting on HAART, and at the quarterly point therafter. CD4 counts are usually done with each viral load to assure that things are progresing in the expected fashion, depending on the type of medications that you are taking, getting a baseline fasting lipid panel and chemisty panel (and probably at least every six months thereafter) is typical.

If I had to pick any one test to do, it'd be the viral load , since the most critical treatment decisions relate to determining the potency and durability of the HAART regimen.

Good luck, BY

Immune reconstitution symptoms
Videx EC