Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pathology tests after starting HAART
May 29, 2002

Hi Dr Young,

I started on HAART in January this year and would like to know how frequently you recommend pathologist testing and what tests should be done at which intervals ?

Could you include background to the reasoning for test frequency and methods of reducing or managing the costs of ongoing tests.

Thanks for your time. Franc.

Response from Dr. Young

In our Denver, Colorado office, I usually obtain a viral load on persons about one month after starting on HAART, and at the quarterly point therafter. CD4 counts are usually done with each viral load to assure that things are progresing in the expected fashion, depending on the type of medications that you are taking, getting a baseline fasting lipid panel and chemisty panel (and probably at least every six months thereafter) is typical.

If I had to pick any one test to do, it'd be the viral load , since the most critical treatment decisions relate to determining the potency and durability of the HAART regimen.

Good luck, BY

Previous
Immune reconstitution symptoms
Next
Videx EC

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.