Combivir and Sustiva

First I would like to thank you all for your help here. This is a great site and has helped a lot of people.

I'm HIV+ for the past 9years and I'm presently taking Combivir one pill 2 times a day and Sustiva 200mg three capsules at bedtime. Have done excellent, having an undetectable viral load and a CD4 count of ~650 (34) since starting meds for the past 6 years. I have heard that combivir can be taken 2 pills once a day and the Sustiva now comes in a 600mg tablet. I just want to know if I can simplify my meds by taking Combivir 2pills + Sustiva 600mg once a day at bedtime? As I have done very well with my present regime can I expect the same if I took all the pills at night? Are there any studies and would you recommend doing the above?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Combivir cannot be taken once daily. While there is strong evidence for the Epivir (lamivudine, 3TC) component being taken once daily, the Retrovir (AZT, zidovudine) cannot be. If you want a once daily regimen, consider substituting Videx (ddi, didanosine) or Viread (tenofovir) for the Retrovir...several studies have shown Sustiva, Epivir and Videx to be a very effective once daily regimen and in a recent study, a regimen of Sustiva, Epivir and Viread did extremely well.

Could I only take Trizivir?
Cures