Thailand help again.

Dear Dr. Young & AO, Thanks for the advice re: the red cross. As it stands my counts are cd4=378 and vl=49000. I'm not sure where to start with all this...although I will ask to see a counselor. I read in the local news that Thailand has their own (1 pill)generic version for Stavudine 30-40 mg, Lamivudine 150 mg and Nevirapine 200 mg and the cost is about 46cents per tablet. Dr., would this be considered a good start for me ? is a big issue, but I don't want to risk health for necessarily. You guys are great !! Thanks again !!

Thanks for your comments.

A key question would be just how long you will be abroad in Thailand-- if it is going to be say, greater than one year, then starting therapy there makes sense. However, should the time to return be shorter, one option might be to simply wait until you return.

Your CD4 count and viral load place you in a range where therapy will likely be recommended in the near term (some might recommend starting right away), though need not be an emergent decision.

As for the Thai coformulated medication-- this should be a very potent and well tolerated regimen; the cost clearly looks favorable.

The best thing to do, should you decide to start is to find every way possible to maximize your adherence. This is probably the largest single factor in determining the durabiility and success of a regimen.

Good luck, BY

mitochondrial toxicity
sustiva