Sustiva Restriction Changes?

I have been taking Sustive (3 pills in the evening) for the last two years. I recently received a brochure that stated that the FDA has approved a one pill a day regimine. For the last couple of years, I was told that you should avoid 'high' fat food when taking Sustiva. I now notice that the latest information says to take the one a day pill on an empty stomach. I was never notified by my doctor or pharmacy of this change. Will this lead to a greater chance of resistance since I had always taken the 3 pill regimine with low fat food, avoiding high fat foods when I took them? I am concerned that people like myself find out through second hand info that the requirements of medicines we take have changed. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Sustiva (both old and new one pill formulation) should be taken on an empty stomach or low fat meal as you have been doing. The same restriction applies about high fat foods as this can actually increase the absorption of Sustiva. So, do not worry. My guess is that your pharmacist is labeling "on an empty stomach" to make sure no one is taking it with a high fat meal. You are taking Sustiva correctly.

abacavir
virual load