Videx dosage

Hi Dr. Young,

I started therapy in January this year and am using 250mg Retrovir twice a day, 200mg (2x100mg chewable) Videx twice a day and 600mg Sustiva once a day at night.

I am responding well to treatment with CD4 up and viral load down. Currently no major side effects (slight nausea after eating certain foods).

I have been told that I can switch to a 400mg Videx capsule once a day.

Pros: reduce number of tablets, (2) no need for an empty stomach in the evening before taking Videx, (3) reduced stress w.r.t. when to stop eating and the need for an empty stomach.

Cons: not sure how the increased dosage will effect me, (2) unsure of the affect on the current medication cycle, (3) unsure of the benefit of a more consistent dosage in my system assuming that spreading the medication to twice daily results in a more 'even' dosage in my system.

I am 220 pounds, quite fit and should not have any side effect from the 400mg capsule.

Please give your comments on the dosages of the current meds and more specifically switching from a twice daily to once daily Videx application.

Thanks, Franc.

You've accurately summarized the pros and cons for switching from conventional to enteric coated didanosine (Videx, Videx EC).

In practice, we have had no difficulty in switching successfully suppressed persons (like yourself) from twice- to once-daily dosing with this drug. Indeed, issues related to pill count and dosing complexity improve. BY

Health strategies after starting HAART
regular self testicular and/or breast examinations