How long have I had the disease?

In August of 2000, my boyfriend broke out in hives. After looking at the causes of hives, I had noticed that Hiv could be a cause. the next day i had an Hiv test done. Which came back positive. My boyfriend went to a doctor for tests in November of 2000. His Viral load was around 9000 and his cd4 was 175. At which point he was placed on the meds immediately. In April of 2001 after feeling pretty bad myself. I had my tests done. Mine was CD4 479 and viral load was 10,909. Could you give me the time frame as in months or years of our primary HIV infection? Or point me to a web site that could give me a graph of information?

It's really difficult to accurately predict the time of initial infection, but one could safely guess, that at least for your boyfriend, that it was some number of years ago. We do know that the average time from initial infection to AIDS (for the average person, with the average baseline viral load) is about 8-10 years-- some of the best data about time of disease progression comes from the US-based MACS cohort study; it would be tempting to conclude that since your viral load is about the same as your boyfriend's and your CD4 count is higher, that you acquired the infection after your partner (though this would be difficult to prove). BY

take with food/ take on empty stomach
10 or more years ago