take with food/ take on empty stomach

I am currently on Viracept, Zerit, and Videx. On the bottle of Videx, its says to take on an empty stomach and the bottle of Viracept says to take with food. Question is, what happens if you don't take on empty or full stomach. Is is really important to follow that or would it just make you have a belly ache? Im lucky if i can remember to take my meds, let alone, worry about if i just ate or not. Thank you for answering my silly question.

Thanks for your question.

Your situation points out some of the difficulties in dosing.

Nelfinavir is best taken with food-- the drug levels are about 20% higher if taken with meals. Also, the side effects of the drug are better (less diarrhea) if taken with meals.

By contrast, ddI levels are lower if taken with food-- hence the recommendation to take on an empty stomach.

In practice, many do take their nelfinavir on an empty stomach. If you have been doing this, and your viral load is undetectable, I'd think that things are probably ok. On the other hand, if this is your first treatment regimen, and you are having significant difficulty with keeping up with adherence, an alternative would be to change either of the two meal-restricted medications to another of the same class- say switch ddI for 3TC, for example.

I'd recommend talking to your healthcare provider about this situation and your treatment options. Good luck, BY

MS treatment and HIV
How long have I had the disease?