MS treatment and HIV

I just read an article about a new treatment for Multiple Sclerosis which involves total destruction of a persons immune system though radiation and chemotherphy. I was recently diagnosed with, Multiple Scerlosis and HIV. Will this procedure help with fighting the HIV virus?

Response from Dr. Pavia

While persons with HIV can sometimes successfully undergo treatment which destroys the immune system for other reasons, such as during a bone marrow or liver transplant, or for chemotherapy of a cancer, there are certainly risks. If as I suspect, the MS treatment is very new and experimental, you would have to weigh those high risks against the unknown benefit it would have for treating MS. Other treatments for MS can be effective and are likely to be less risky.

The question that comes to mind is if what looks like MS could be a manifestation of HIV. I would consult with a neurologist with a lot of HIV expertise, and make sure that your neurologist and your HIV doctor are working together with each other and with you. Prominent HIV neurology experts are in NYC, Baltimore and San Francisco, and if any of those are your home town, I can give you some names. Your HIV doctor probably has connections as well.

Good luck

ATP

High cholesterol - when should i begin treatment?
take with food/ take on empty stomach