Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My uncle is HIV+.HELP
May 15, 2002

My uncle was just informed that he is HIV+ and has TB.Where can I find the info,on how to catch it,and the symthoms.I cant find it anywhere.

Response from Dr. Young

There are a number of links to general information about HIV on TheBody.

Tuberculosis (TB) is generally acquired through contact with respiratory secretions (they're inhaled). Casual contact is usually not sufficient to acquire the infection. It is also important to distinguish between infection with the tuberculous bacillus (which results in skin test conversion, or positivity) and disease ("Tuberculosis")--skin testing typically identifies those who have had exposure to the bacillus and is usually treated with antibiotics. The disease can be manifest with many symptoms, depending on which organ is involved. Typical involvment is in the lungs, resulting in chronic, productive cough. Persons with TB usually have fevers, night sweats, malaise and weight loss. BY

Previous
Just how long do I have?
Next
Pancreas or liver disorders

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.