alcohol and hiv medication

My consultant wants me to start on anti virals but is concerned that my alcohol intake is too high. what is the problem with this and what detrimental effects can alcohol have?

There are two major issues related to alcohol and HIV medications.

The first, relates to whether your drinking could interfere with your ability to adhere (really adhere) to the prescribed treatment regimen. We know that missed doses translate into increased risk of developing resistant virus and this translates into therapeutic and clincial failure of the treatment.

The second (answered by Dr. Pavia previously on this forum- http://thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Starting/Current/Q138808.html), relates to the possible overlap of liver toxicity of certain HIV medications and alcohol-induced liver toxicity.

Hope this is helpful.BY

aids-tcell 38
Salvage Therapy