Once-a-day dosing of Epivir

My doctor has recommended that I take 2 Epivir tablets together, once a day, instead of spacing each tablet out by 12 hours. Do we know if this has been proven effective? I understand that Epivir is one of the easiest drug for the virus to mutate around, and I'm just a bit leery about the change. Other than that, everything else is ok with me. I'm taking Viread and Sustiva along with Epivir. I'd appreciate any information regarding this. Thank you very much for your time!

Response from Dr. Aberg

Epivir (lamivudine, 3TC) is not approved as a once daily therapy yet. I do know of some doctors that are prescribing this but I do not as I have not seen enough pharmacokinetic trails or efficacy trials supporting this. There is a new drug in development called FTC which is similar to 3TC and is once a day. Also, both zerit (stavudine, D4T) and retrovir (zidovudine, AZT) are being made in a new once daily formulation. I agree with you that 3TC resistance can occur quickly. There is not enough data to say if resistance will occur sooner if one takes it daily but potentially missing one "daily" dose may be more problematic than missing one "twice daily" dose.

Stop meds? Doctor laughs
Zerit to Viread