Do I Need To Change Meds

Found Out I Had Aids October 1996. T-cells 18 viral load 100,000. Started Norvir 600mg 2x Day Azt500mg Epivir 200mg daily. These drugs made me undetectable and raised t-cells to a high of 385. lipids became out of control even with lipid lowering meds. January 2001 doctor decided to switch to Trizivir and lipids and cholesterol and Trigliserides returned to noral range and I remained undetectable for nine monthes. Then we saw a rise of viral load to around 1150 and small drop in t-cells. We have been testing on regular basis and the viral load hovers at 1100. Doctor wants to wait and see if it go up before med change. Is this a good option or should we switch meds. Feeling good but it scares me because I was undetectable for so long. The meds above are the only antivirals or protese inhibors I have taken. Always taken meds as directed and don't miss doses. Comment please and thanks for this great resource.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Well, it was not such a great idea to switch you to Trizivir in the first place and it's probably a bad idea to wait to switch therapy. It is likely, based on the results of several switch trials, that your prior Retrovir (AZT) and Epivir (lamivudine) exposure predisposed you to fail Trizivir. In addition, studies indicate that continuing on Trizivir when there is a detectable viral load is likely to lead to the development of further antiretroviral resistance and this may compromise the entire nucleoside analogue class. If I were your doctor, I would obtain a resistance test at this point and assess what regimen would be the best one to switch to, and then I would get on with it.

dropping videx
Building up T-Cell count