Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD8+CD4+ = 0
Apr 17, 2002

Dear Doc. Young I am a male doc. of 44 years. Tested positive 6 months ago infected 2.5 years ago by another female doc. sexually. She didnt told me she was + and used to be drugged since I discovered it end close our relationship. My problem is: I live in Europe and I had my first numbers CD4+ 418. (36) VL 35'000 after 3 months CD4+ 635 (35) VL 45'000. CD8+CD4+ = 0. What it means? My doctor told me that it is not yet known. I am suffering stress, depression, and in the evening my voice is down. I try to do some gim. But after a month a begin to have recurrent Aphtous tonsillitis, sore throat always low grade fever and mussel trembling (which was very hard when I knew I was positive). I was a ex swimming champion and is very difficult for me to feel this situation. What do you thing with this numbers what are expectations of good life span. Is necessary to do other further examinations for unknown opportunistic disease. I have read your posts and find them very qualitative. Excuse for my English. A colleague in difficulties. Thank You

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question and comments.

In review of your labs, I would conclude that you have stable CD4 percentage, with an acceptable normal variance in CD4 absolute count and viral load. Your viral load is in the median for most persons with chronic HIV infection. Neither parameter suggests advanced disease, nor the imminent need to start antiretroviral theapy.

I am not familiar with the lab parameter CD8+CD4+, though I wonder if it refers to cells with both cell surface markers. (I've never really been described as someone smart enough to be an immunologist.) If this assumption is correct, it would be normal not to have many, if any cells with both markers.

It does sound like you do have some symptoms related to the psychological aspects of recent diagnosis and reactional stress. Saddly, this is not an unusual circumstance-- we occasionally offer psychiatric consul and treatments for persons in your situation.

Life expectancy predictions are difficult to make with certainty, as you know, but I would place you in a good prognostic category, with a life expectancy (assuming good quality care and follow up) that is measured in multiple decades.

Stay in touch, good luck. BY

Previous
Comparing genes?
Next
CD 4 drop,VL constant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.