Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

zinc-could this be the wonder drug?
Apr 17, 2002

Hi doc.maybe we are going too far looking for the solution to aids treatment.look at the effects of zinc deplation in the body then compare with aids symptoms.now give the patient zinc and guess what can happen.maybe the solution is here.will the big drug companies agree?commend.Jos

Response from Dr. Young

I don't think that we've gone far enough in our research for HIV therapies.

Data on zinc has not been convincing for the treatment of the common cold, never mind HIV. A recent analysis published in the Annals of Internal Medicine looked at several studies using a variety of doses of zinc for colds and showed no demonstrable benefit.

There are many that promote the idea that zinc supplements might help the common cold, I've personally not heard such claims for the treatment of HIV, though I can personally say that in the past my patients had tried it without significant benefit.

I don't suscribe to the conspiracy theory that the "big drug companies" are not looking for simple treatments-- if such were to be had, we would have seen treatment successes before the advent of antiretroviral combination therapy in the mid 1990's. BY

Previous
fat, lipo or combo
Next
Comparing genes?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.