Zerit syptoms

Six months ago I had three seizures and nothi8ng was found wrong. Several weeks ago I had had trouble breathing, bad muscle pains, lightheadedness, and severe headaches come on. Within days I noticed the Bristol Myers alert on Zerit which I have been taking for over 5 years. My doctor refussed to allow a serum lactic acid test and just said to stop my combinatiion of HIV meds and wait to see if the syptoms go away. Bristol Myers advised to have the lactic acid test taken ASAP. What do you think? My doctor is strictly going down the heart problem avenue.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Based upon the information you've given, your symptoms don't really suggest that you have the ascending neuromuscular weakness reported in the Bristol-Myers warning letter (which was reported by them in association with Zerit, but probably can occur with other antiretrovirals as well). It's tough to comment beyond that without more information, but given your symptoms you probably should have both a neurological and a cardiac evaluation.

Lescol
IVIG Treatment