Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Studies regarding OI frequency and tonsils
Feb 25, 2001

Dear Doctor,

This may be an off the wall question, but I am wondering if any studies have been done on the presence of tonsils and the lack of OI in a person with full blown AIDS. I have currently a TCell count of 113 and Viral of 136000, Just found out I am positive. I am wondering because I have had absolutely no OI and feel great, but I do still have my tonsils and have been dealing with recurring tonsillitis for years. I am wondering about having them removed, but I wonder if in someway they may have been "protecting" my body from OIs. Is this a whacko thought or might it have some merit. Thanks

Response from Dr. Cohen

Unlikely.

No good reason that your tonsils matter much here - there is plenty of lymph node tissue scattered throughout the body, all working to do their part. It is hard to imagine why the nodes in the throat would have any particular protective effect about OIs elsewhere in the body. More likely that you are experiencing something we have seen in others - with a CD4 count over 100, OI's are still unlikely in the short term. The "big" illnesses - like PCP, thrush and others, do happen in this CD4 range, and probably would if you waited much longer to start meds. Other illnesses - like CMV, only happen when the CD4 counts are lower than this. And we do know that there are some who, despite low counts, are lucky... for a while. A low count puts you at risk for illness - but there are always some who do get sick while others don't. For reasons that remain unclear but the subject of ongoing interest. Some just have a better system that does better despite the loss of CD4 cells - while others are not so fortunate.

But, if you prefer, we can give your tonsils some of the credit.

CC

Previous
Comparing Regimens with AZT or Viramune - CC
Next
when my clinical study is over?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.