Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Intensify With No Viral Load?
Mar 29, 2002

I have been on AZT, AZT/DDC, AZT/DDI/3TC and D4T/3TC/NFV regimens with some treatment failure because of adding one drug at a time or inadvertently taking a substandard dose. For example, I had as high as 2500 VL on D4T/3TC/NFV because I mistakenly took 1 pill three times a day instead of 3 pills three times a day. I haven't taken AZT, 3TC and DDC since years ago before viral load tests were available (I was in the first AZT study); and I am assuming I failed treatment based of a slide in T4 from the upper 40s to the upper 30s at the time. I switched from the NFV regimen to a SQV/RTV regimin for just one year with complete surpression (no detectable viral load); and then switched two years ago to EFV/DDI/D4T to avoid side effects from the protease inhibitors. While I have remained <50 copies with only an occassional blip to 300 copies or so viral load on this combo during the past two years, I am very concerned that the EFV is the only really new drug in this regimen and that one day it may fail and I will lose the NNRTI options (just one mutation away!). I probably already have limited NRTI options based on prior history. I have some, but only mild lipodostrophy and T4 cells are almost always between 750 and 1200 (35-38). I rarely miss a dose although I may be a four or five hours late sometimes.

So, do you think I should modify or intensify this combo now to save my NNRTI options or to make sure it lasts several years, or do you think I may have enough options remaining if the EFV begins to fail? Thanks for your thoughts...

Response from Dr. Boyle

Given your current success and a viral load <50, I would not intensify the regimen at this time. I would keep a careful eye on your viral load, however, and consider intensification if you had a breakthrough. It is very important that you take your medications very carefully and religiously since this is likely to continue their effectiveness.

Previous
Unable to take medicines due to illness.
Next
Videx/Epivir okay?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.