Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV drugs just for one year?
Mar 17, 2002

I was recently infected with HIV, within 30 days of infection I was dignosed with HIV. My doctor said I may only have to take HIV drugs for one to two years. Everyone else I know is taking them for life. Why is this? Someone I heard refered to this to as (STI), maybe? What does this stand for? How successful has this been?

Response from Dr. Pavia

There are some important differences between beginning treatment within a few weeks of being infected and beginning later. Within a few months of infection, HIV seems to destroy a number of the HIV-specific CD4 helper cells that direct the immune system in its fight against HIV. There is some very preliminary experience, mostly from Bruce Walker and Eric Rosenberg at Harvard, that persons who begin treatment during acute infection (like you) can interrupt treatment and restore the immune response. So far, this has been done only in a research setting, and is not generally recommended, until we know more about the best way to plan interruptions and follow the response.

If at all possible, you might want to see if you can participate in research on how best to manage your treatment. Groups at the Massachussets General Hospital in Boston, the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Institute in New York, and the University of Geneva are prominent in this area.

The bottom line is that you MIGHT be able to interupt therapy after one-two years because of the special situation you are in. This is different than most people with HIV. In the meantime, I would not change anything, and wait for the research to make the answer become more clear.

ATP

Previous
Delivery system of T20
Next
Tested Positive...what to expect

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.