Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Delivery system of T20
Mar 17, 2002

Doctors,

I am supposed to start T20 treatments this coming Monday at my doctors office. I am one of three that badly needed this treatment. I have a terrible aversion to pain and shots and because of that believe I will not be able to comply with the study. I desperatly need to do the T20 as I have mutated out of all known drugs. My T cells are at 10 and my viral load is half a million. My question is, could I use the diabetes pen delivery system with this drug? I feel like it would be much easier just to do the stick part with out pushing the plunger down. I have already viewed the T20 injection video tape and got sick at the thought of doing it to myself. I feel like I would be signing my death warrent if I do not take this chance.

Response from Dr. Pavia

The problem with pen delivery systems is that they are preloaded by the manufacterer. As far as I know, there is no way to load T20 into one of those systems. The manufacturer is considering developing an autoinjector system, but as far as I know, it is not available.

I would suggest trying a few things. Get a friend, partner, or relative to come with you and learn how to do the injection. Talk with a therapist, or even a hypnotist about ways to desensitize yourself to the idea of injections. Have the study coordinator or your doctor refer you to a diabetes educator for some injection training - they deal with this problem all the time and have strategies for coping with "needle phobia"

T20 is certainly worth a try, and you are fortunate to have gotten a slot, so don't let a very small needle scare you off.

Good luck ATP

Previous
blood splash in eye
Next
HIV drugs just for one year?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.