Delivery system of T20

Doctors,

I am supposed to start T20 treatments this coming Monday at my doctors office. I am one of three that badly needed this treatment. I have a terrible aversion to pain and shots and because of that believe I will not be able to comply with the study. I desperatly need to do the T20 as I have mutated out of all known drugs. My T cells are at 10 and my viral load is half a million. My question is, could I use the diabetes pen delivery system with this drug? I feel like it would be much easier just to do the stick part with out pushing the plunger down. I have already viewed the T20 injection video tape and got sick at the thought of doing it to myself. I feel like I would be signing my death warrent if I do not take this chance.

Response from Dr. Pavia

The problem with pen delivery systems is that they are preloaded by the manufacterer. As far as I know, there is no way to load T20 into one of those systems. The manufacturer is considering developing an autoinjector system, but as far as I know, it is not available.

I would suggest trying a few things. Get a friend, partner, or relative to come with you and learn how to do the injection. Talk with a therapist, or even a hypnotist about ways to desensitize yourself to the idea of injections. Have the study coordinator or your doctor refer you to a diabetes educator for some injection training - they deal with this problem all the time and have strategies for coping with "needle phobia"

T20 is certainly worth a try, and you are fortunate to have gotten a slot, so don't let a very small needle scare you off.

Good luck ATP

blood splash in eye
HIV drugs just for one year?