When to start Meds?, Recent Infection.Low Tcells and Viral Load.

I am recently infected with HIV(six months)Seroconversion was in September. I had my first blood tests and my viral load was 1800 and my Tcells are down to 278. My doctor feels the drop in Tcells is due to the fact that it is a recent infection and a they will rebound and should come back up for a period time. Could you tell me if this is common? When should I start Meds?

Thanks for the question.

Typically, following very early acute infection, CD4 counts decline. It is reasonable to think that your CD4 count of 278 (which is pretty low for someone during acute infection) reflects this initial drop. Having a repeat test obviously, should sort this issue out.

When to start is a more complicated issue, that has been outlined in several other Q and A's in this forum; but if you have confirmed acute infection, I'd strongly recommend talking to your doctor about clinical studies for this condition-- this is the best way for all of us to learn about the science of acute infection; and likey improve the success of initial treatment.

Good luck, BY

Kava kava and HIV meds
HRG214