Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Just Tested Pos

Tested Pos on 2/12/02. Viral load 6,830, CD4 729 (34)(.72)Went to 2 different Drs. and Both Stated to wait on starting any drugs. They want me to come back in a few months and redo labs. So I'm going crazy. I just do nothing but sit and wait to get sick before I do anything???

Thanks for your question. Assuming that you are not currently having acute retroviral syndrome or have only an indeterminate HIV test, then we can assume that you have established, or chronic HIV infection.

Based on the labs that you've described, you have a moderately low baseline viral load and relatively high (intact) CD4 cell count. With these numbers, one usually does not have any significant CD4 cell decline over a period of months. This does not mean that there shouldn't be any medical attention-- this is a reasonable time to make sure that all other health issues are addressed: vaccinations, TB skin test, diabetes and hypertension screening; by all means evaluation for depression, smoking, drug use, etc.

The discussion about when to start is a little beyond the scope of this reply (but see other answers in this forum); but with a CD4 count of over 700, many if not most treatment experts would agree on the safety of deferrment.

Hope this helps, stay in touch. BY

Should I begin treatment?
nuprigen shots?