When to act?

Found out HIV+ in Nov'01. Labs were 592 T-cell count and the load was 12400. Just re-tested a week ago. Labs were 421 T-cell count and load was 12000. CD4 unchanged from last labs. Have not started meds as of yet. To be re-checked in May '02. Feeling Fine; only outward signs are enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin/ but they go up and down. Question? Short of actually starting meds. What can I do to improve my labs in a mean time. Give some Ideas! Thanks!

We get this question a lot.

Outside of HIV therapies, most of my advice is to make sure that your other health issues are well cared for (ie., hepatitis, dental care, mental health). Good nutrition, exercise and rest all contribute, but are not likely to make dramatic changes.

One last note- many persons focus attention on the total (or absolute) CD4 count. I'd direct your focus on your CD4 percentage-- a number that varies less from day to day, one that you can use to track trends in your immunologic health.

Good luck, BY

HBV and HIV testing
Should I begin treatment?