Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Crixivan versus Kaletra - AP
Feb 11, 2001

Dr. Pavia, Thank you for answering my question from a week or so ago ("Concerned about a Viral Load of 53"). It was, apparently, just a blip. I'm back to below 50 now. But I am trying to make a decision: As I wrote, I was first tested 14 years ago; my viral load has been stable for a number of years. My doctor says I should think about switching from Crixivan to Kaletra -- not because Crixivan isn't working but because Kaletra is a better drug, he thinks, and better absorbed. I really have no problem taking Crixivan (or Zerit or the study drug FTC). But I DO want to be careful of the changes I make because I want to stay well for years and years. Thank you for your help. Scott

Response from Dr. Pavia

Dear Scott,

You don't mention if you are taking crixivan the "old fashioned way" of 800 mg every 8 hours on an empty stomach, or the "new and improved way" of 800 mg twice a day with 100 mg of ritonavir (with or without food). Crixivan is harder to maintain good blood levels on the old way, both because of the rapid clearance from your blood, and the difficulty of the schedule. However, every doc has patients who have been on crixivan and doing great since the early days of 96 (or at our place, from the trials in 95).

Kaletra is an impressive drug because of the good tolerability and the high levels. However, these characteristics also make it a valuable drug for people who have failed one protease. We don't know if there are any differences in long term side effects.

My general preference is not to change drugs when they are working and there are no side effects. One option to consider, if you are not already doing it, is to use the ritonavir boosted crixivan regimen, and save Kaletra as a later option. Good luck

ATP

Previous
to be (on meds) or not to be? - AP
Next
no childhood vaccinations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.