SWITCHING MEDICINES

I'm 40, male, HIV+ for 11 years. I've been taking 3TC + d4T + indinavir for 2 years. My viral load has been undetectable (< 50 copies), CD4 is around 1000, my testosterone level's normal but I've lost 11Kg. I'm realy worried about my weight and my appearance. Must I switch the current regimen? If I switch d4T and indinavir for abacavir and efavirenz (as my doc is suggesting me)is it possible gain weight? What else could you recommend me? Thanks a lot for your answer. T.F.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear TF, That sounds like a logical switch to me. You may be suffering from lipoatrophy from the medications seem to be to blame not the HIV. There is really no downside to switching meds as long as you are undetectable. Go for it! DTD

Question about
Losing weight