fortovase once a day

My actual regime is fortovase, videx, zerit and hydroxiurea.

My viral load is undetectable since 1997.

My doctor proposed me to switch from the normal dose of fortevase three times a day to one dose of 1600 g. once a day with a minidose of norvir 100 g.

I find this solution very interesting because it would simplify the therapy very much, I could take videx, zerit and hydroxyurea in the morning with empty stomach and fortevase (plus ritonavir), zerit and hydroxyurea in the night after dinner

Do you think is it safe?

Thank you

Giorgio

Response from Dr. Cohen

Hey Giorgio.

Yes it is possible to do just as you describe, with the potential advantages of additional simplification of med taking as you mention.

We don't have much formal "switch" data, but based on the blood level studies so far done, as well as the clinical study info we do have, there is every reason to expect that your viral load should be just as well controlled when going from three times a day fortovase to once a day with the ritonavir. And since the Videx is just once a day without meals, you can do it just as you describe, taking the protease combo with food away from the videx.

This is the kind of research now going on intensively in many places - ways to simplify how the meds are taken while preserving their potency. This approach, of adding a small dose of ritonavir, appears to be one way to allow some of the PIs to be taken just once a day - this so far has been most studied for fortovase/saquinavir, but is also an option for those on amprenavir/agenerase, and perhaps even indinavir/crixivan. It might even be an option for nelfinavir. Note the dose of ritonavir may be either 100 or 200 mg depending on the PI used - there is some specific info needed to ensure this is done correctly.

Hope that helps.

CC

Cal Cohen, M.D., M.S.

Elevated Lactic Acid / Treatment Question
Treatment Failure/Choices Choices update