really scared - PEP 6 hrs late on 2nd dose

Doctor put me on PEP after possible exposure to HIV virus within 24 hours. I was six hours late taking my second dose but have taken every other one time, since, on time. I became very ill with flu like symptoms within 36 hours after and remained sick for almost three weeks. I was also just getting over being sick at time of possible exposure. Knowing the therapy is experimental in instance of non-occuational exposure, could I have significantly reduced the chances of PEP therapy succeeding?

Thanks for your question--

Clearly, dosing 6 hours late would be considered suboptimal, but when you look at the larger picture of post-exposure prophlyaxis, probably does not influence the outcomes significantly.

More important issues surrounding PEP is the kind of exposure that you had (sexual, percutaneous; amount of body fluid, depth of injury), the source person (high- or low viral load, AIDS, etc) and time from exposure to first dose of PEP.

I'd also take the time to correct you-- PEP is not experimental. There are a number of well designed studies that show that early intervention with appropriate medications work.

Good luck, BY

Dr. Young: I am negative at 7 months, is it time to move on?
Effectiveness of HAART