Viracept Dosing Again

Dear Docs:

I think you may have answered this already, but here goes... I am concerned about keeping the proper dosage schedule. My doctor has told me its ok to switch to 5 tablets twice a day. On the 3x a day schedule, I usually dosed 7am, 1pm, 10pm. With twice a day dosing is it okay to go within 2 hour of a 12 hour schedule. I usually take at 7am, but sometimes I'm stuck at work and can't eat dinner until 9pm. Is this a bad thing to do? Also, if I should stick to an exactly 12 hour schedule, is it still ok to take with a snack. I've increased the amount I eat with breakfast because I assummed since I was taking a higher dose I might need more food to help absorb. I've been on therapy since 6/97 <25 VL t-cells 1100. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Currier

The goal should be 12 hours if you are going with the twice daily dosing.An hour or 2 once in awhile is probably okay, but keep the goal as 12 hours. It is important to take the drug with food, the amount of food is probably not critical, one persons idea of a snack is probably a meal for someone else. As we have answered previously the twice daily dosing should still considered under investigation and is not yet an approved dosing schedule. The preliminary data does look promising, but I think it is important to remind people of this fact.

From the information you provided this combo seems to be working very well for you. keep doing what you have been doing and things should continue to look good.

-JC

Weight distribution
Confused about Viracept