Guidlines

Some friends have told me that the governemtn might drop Viracept from the guidelines soon. Is this true? They said it was because its not as strong as they said originally, like saquinavir.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well, I would check with your friends to see where this rumor came from, since not only have I not heard this rumor, but it doesn't even make sense. We have the data from several clinical studies on which people on Viracept based combinations have long term successful suppression of HIV - one of the studies updated and presented just 3 months ago showed continued success for the majority at now two years. And there were other study results presented, all of which continue to show similar successful findings to what was seen in the initial studies that allowed this drug to become available by prescription.

So - see if you can dig out the source of this one - since it is always helpful to know how these things get started.

CC

Help for bulging leg veins
Viracept Dosing