Autologous CD4+ T cell transfusion

dear doc. Is it already in human trial phase or priclinical trial?

Autologous CD4+ T cell transfusion improves HIV resistance.A randomized phase I clinical trial of the technique is underway at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC, but it is open to only active duty and retired Department of Defense personnel, Dr. Levine said.

Thank you for your question.

I am not aware of the details of this study, but can comment on some basic principles.

Firstly, phase I clinical studies are very preliminary-- the purpose of these studies, typically is not to show that a therapy has benefit, but simply to establish if the proposed therapy has significant side effects or toxicity. Hence, the phase I Army study is not set up to establish if autologous CD4 cell transfusion is beneficial to HIV-infected persons,but only to see if there are any real down sides to reinfusion with one's own CD4 cells.

I would have to assume that the procedure involves the amplification of a persons CD4 cells in the test tube (outside of the body), followed by reinfusion. The basis for doing this could be many, and I would have to direct you to the Army for the scientific rationale behind the study.

Good luck, BY

Dramatic increase in T-Cell Count
Do I have a disease?