tipranavir

Goodmorning, I would like to know if you think a new PI under development called Tipranavir will be able to get aproval in 2003? I have read that it is very effective against a large number of resistant virus mutants. This would of course be wonderful news! But I have also been told by those who have followed it that it has some really nasty side effects especially gastrointestinal. It has also not been looked at as a once a day PI. I wanted to know if you thought that it might be able to be reformulated to allow for daily dosage and to eliminate the nasty side effects?

Response from Dr. Boyle

I think that approval for tipranvir in 2003 is a reasonable time frame. Based upon the pK data I have seen to date, I doubt that they will be able to formulate it to a once daily medication, but I know that the pharmaceutical companies are working on this very hard so I might be surprised.

Extended release AZT
How long before side effects go away?