What is PEP?
Jul 8, 2009
This may be a stupid question but what is PEP? And thank you for providing this fourm.
Response from Dr. Young
PEP stands for post-exposure prophylaxis-- it refers to medical treatments to prevent HIV infection after an exposure. To be effective, PEP must be started within 72 hours of exposure and is generally taken for 1 month.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Can I Do For My Immune System To Keep From Getting Shingles Again?
- What Can Happen If Hpv Goes Untreated?
- What Are The Odds Of Contracting Genital Herpes After Sleeping With Someone Who Has It But Not An Outbreak?
- Viral Infection Throat And Shingles
- Things That Can Trigger A Herpes Outbreak
- Things That Can Be Mistaken For Herpes
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.