The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My CD4 count
Sep 19, 2006

What does it mean if my CD4 count is 61. It was 55. I am taking all medication and feel so much better, healthy and fit. I thought my count would have gone up to at least 800, but two tests both revealed it still is 61. Have I got full blown AIDs now? How much longer do you think I can last. Must I make a will and get all my papers in order? Please be honest to me, so that I can make timely preparations.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Deep breaths, friend. Deep breaths.

There are some more data that can help me understand your situation. If you CD4 cell count was less around 50 when you started HIV medications, it can be difficult to achieve a count in the hundreds despite a low viral load. This does not mean you are not able to enjoy the benefits of HIV therapy. A low viral load all by itself can help you remain healthy. In addition, your CD4 cell count may rise over time. How long have you been on therapy? I have seen slow increases over months to years in people starting with very low counts.

Your CD4 cell count would place you in the "AIDS" category but this designation is becoming obsolete as counts increase and as people gain weight and health on HIV medications despite low CD4 cell counts. Should you have a will? Sure, we all should. But, if you are feeling better on your HIV meds chances are you are not going anywhere anytime soon.

If your viral load is undetectable, you are probably doing all you can do. Work with your doc to keep tabs on your counts and to prevent opportunistic infections.


Can I switch to tenofovir from Kaletra?
Chances of the big breakthrough

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint