Plastic Surgery for skinny face (another one...)

First of all, thank you so much for this service. I have found answers to many of my questions on this Board. I appreciate your work tremendously.

We all know now there is no sure treatment for LD in the face. From what I have read in this Bulletin, it is a fact, we should accept it for now, and wait until they find something new. The only thing to do is to change our med to stop it (avoid the "D" drugs). Now tell me, Did I understood right? Is this really it? If not, please tell me where I got it wrong?

The only way of feeling better about ourselves is to consider plastic surgery, right?

I am ready to give it a try. My doctor is fine with it and says it is ok. But he doesn't know how to refer me to a plastic surgeon since he doesn't know any specialist who is familiar with LD and HIV. So my last question is: How or where should I look for a reputable plastic surgeon who has experience with this condition? I am in Montréal/Canada and I'm willing to travel anywhere in the States or even Europe to get this done. You don't have to give me a name if you are not comfortable with that. I just would appreciate any advice on where to look for information to find a surgeon. Are there any associations of plastic surgeons I can communicate with for advice or information?

Anyone has a good surgeon on this board to refer me to?

I'm desperate to feel good about myself again. It is hard to have aids on my face...

Thank you again for the help you guys give us :-) and please excuse my spelling since my main language is French !

Sam

Montreal

Response from Dr. Fisher

You do seem to have the facts mostly correct. We are not completely sure about the D drugs; switching off d4T may or may not help.

As far as plastic surgery...unfortunately who knows? All we know is the anecdotes. This or that patient who may or may not have responded to plastic surgery. There are probably plastic surgeons in LA or NYC, but I don't know who they are! There is a professional organization for plastic/cosmetic surgeons that can be queried. Other than that it is all word-of-mouth.

Sorry for the lack of specific advice.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Oxandrine, Testosterone & Lipodystrophy
A Real Solution for Facial Wasting