Hi Good Dr.

Hi Dr., I was tested this year for hiv in July, and then September, both negative. My question is in a past posting you mentioned that being malnourished might effect the production of antibodies, and I know smoking and drinking and stress also effect the immune system. My question is, at the time of the test in July I had lost 6 plds. since Feb. because of extreme stress, lack of appetite, was smoking two packs a day, and drinking a six pack a night for 6 months. I didn't drink for 36 hours before the test, and had three healthy meals the day before , but would this lead to a false negative? 2-At the time of my second test I was gaining weight, feeling better. But still smoking and drinking , in fact had 5 beers before the night of the test until midnight, tested at noon. Do I need more testing, what are the odds of me having this. I never got sick this year despite all this. P.S. My girlfriend of 4 years, just tested negative after 3, and a half years of unprotected sex with me. Also, the tests were 6 years after the exposure, one night stand, my girlfreind and I have been monagamous. Thank you and God Bless your good deeds.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It sounds like you are negative. However with a false positive test, I would recommend an HIV RNA PCR test to actually test for the presence of HIV virus. Good luck! DTD

digestion
Please Dr.