Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hi Good Dr.
Oct 22, 2001

Hi Dr., I was tested this year for hiv in July, and then September, both negative. My question is in a past posting you mentioned that being malnourished might effect the production of antibodies, and I know smoking and drinking and stress also effect the immune system. My question is, at the time of the test in July I had lost 6 plds. since Feb. because of extreme stress, lack of appetite, was smoking two packs a day, and drinking a six pack a night for 6 months. I didn't drink for 36 hours before the test, and had three healthy meals the day before , but would this lead to a false negative? 2-At the time of my second test I was gaining weight, feeling better. But still smoking and drinking , in fact had 5 beers before the night of the test until midnight, tested at noon. Do I need more testing, what are the odds of me having this. I never got sick this year despite all this. P.S. My girlfriend of 4 years, just tested negative after 3, and a half years of unprotected sex with me. Also, the tests were 6 years after the exposure, one night stand, my girlfreind and I have been monagamous. Thank you and God Bless your good deeds.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It sounds like you are negative. However with a false positive test, I would recommend an HIV RNA PCR test to actually test for the presence of HIV virus. Good luck! DTD

Previous
digestion
Next
Please Dr.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.