eye floaters - HIV?

Dr. Fisher,

Is there any connection between eye floaters and acute/recent hiv infection? Recently I began to see floaters in both eyes. I went to an Ophthalmologist and he said my eyes were completely healthy. He told me floaters are very common and not to worry about it. However it is scary because he didn't tell me what caused them and they have become very bothersome. I had a possible exposure 8 months ago, but just tested negative via ELISA. I have read about floaters in HIV+ people due to CMV complications, especially when CD4 counts are below 100, but haven't seen much information on if there is a connection between recent HIV infection and eye floaters. What are your thoughts?

Response from Dr. Fisher

I would agree that floaters could be related to CMV, but it is extremely unlikely that you have HIV-related CMV. The ELISA tests are very accurate especially if your last exposure was 8 months ago. If your ophthalmologist says your eyes are healthy, they probably are healthy. Floaters are common and innocuous in most people and not related to HIV. AF

New Fill in NYC
Possible Symptoms?