Hair Loss/breakage

Dear Doctor, I am a 39 year old asian men living with HIV for the past 7 years. I am on Abacavir, nelfinavir and Delaviridine and have an undetectable viral load and Cd4 count of >700. My problem is that although I have no family history of male pattern baldness, I recently noticed my hair is always dry and there were breakage everywhere near the base, causing my hair to thin. I don't at all think its genetic, rather the side effect of the combination treatment I am taking. My question is, is there anything I can do or use to treat this problem. Thank you and I look forward to some advise.

Australia

Response from Dr. Fisher

I've not heard of this being related to the meds you are on. There have been reports of hair/nail problems with indinavir. I would recommend you see a dermatologist. Ideally a dermatologist with HIV-patient experience. AF

lipodistrophy-androgel
New Fill in NYC