Can I stop testing

I had a low risk encounter 3 months ago (masturbating in a public toilet).I have had test at 4,6,11 and 12 weeks all neg.I had diarrhea on and off for 2 weeks at week 10.I have also been very stressed about this whole affair which could explain the diarrhea. Have I tested enough?

Glen

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

Dear Glen:

I believe I just answered your question, under a different file. To be sure, I'll repeat. The statistics are that 95% or more of people who become HIV-1 positive will seroconvert within 3 months of exposure. And, there are only a handful of reported cases where the virus does not register by the test (called an ELISA). It also sounds that your exposure, if I understand it, was not of a "high risk" category. There are a lot of reasons for diarrhea and weight loss, including anxiety or stress. So the odds are in your favor. The be sure, and in view of your unease about this, it makes sense to repeat the test in a few months.

Marc Hellerstein, M.D., Ph.D.

Weight loss
testing Orally for hiv infection